Solderless Patch Cable System
The Diago Patchfactory allows you to build custom length patch cables,
without additional tools or specialist skills. Anybody can build a flawless cable.
Here are some tips and tricks to get the best results:
1) Use a sharp cutter, craft knife, utility knife or Stanley knife etc. The cable ends need to be cut clean and square. 2) Cut by pushing or rocking, and use two hands to give it some weight if you need to. Don't use a slicing or sawing action - it won't give good results. 3) Don't use side snips, scissors or any two bladed or relatively blunt cutting tool - it will crush the cable and not give you the clean cut that you need. 4) Always trim the end you're working with just before you push it into the plug. 5) There is a pin inside the plug that makes contact with the centre conductor of the cable. The idea is that this pin should push inside the centre of the cable to make a good electrical contact. When you insert the cable into the plug (without pushing) it will stop when it touches the pin. You then need to give it a good push so that the pin goes inside the cable - it should go in about another 4-5mm or so. You can mark the outside of the cable with your thumbnail to check. 6) The wrapping or bending described to stop the centre pushing out can be done any way that's comfortable for you. I just bend them into a 'U' shape and the centre doesn't push out. 7) When you bend the cable through the slot, bend it at 90 degrees to the plug to make sure the cap cuts through the sheath/jacket properly. 8) Hold the cable at 90 degrees using your thumb while you screw in the cap. 9) Use a coin for the last few turns of the cap, and use your thumb against the cable where it joins the plug to enable you to make it tight. It's important that the cap is tight so that it cuts the sheath/jacket exactly the right amount and so that it stays tight and your cable stays reliable. 10) Always test the cable at the end. If you don't have a cable tester or multimeter, then try it between two pedals.
What to do if my cable doesn't work first time?
This is usually easily solved. 1) Start by seeing if you can work out which end is not making proper contact by bending the cable at the plug joints while they are still plugged in to your cable tester or effects pedals. 2) If you can't determine which end is faulty, just pick one and make a note of which one. 3) Remove the plug. 4) Trim the end of the cable. 5) Re-assemble the plug as per the instructions. 6) Test the cable.
If that hasn't solved it, repeat the above at the other end. If after that the cable still doesn't work, we will help you. Contact us by phone / email / Facebook / Twitter and we will personally guide you through the process and make sure you're able to make cables that do work.
We've put together a few different ways in which you can purchase Patchfactory components because everybody's situation is different. Check out the options below, and decide which suits your needs best:
Product Product Code Description What's in the box Patchfactory Solderless Patch Cable Kit
PF01 This kit provides everything you need to build 5 perfect patch cables, and is the best starting point if you want to move your rig over to the Diago Patchfactory patch cable system.
- 10 x Solderless 1/4" Angled Patch Plugs
- 10ft (3.05m) Patch Cable
- 1 x Diago Cable Cutter
Pair of Diago Angled Patch Plugs
PF02 Got a bit of cable left over? Purchase a pair of plugs to make another patch cable.
- 2 x Solderless 1/4" Angled Patch Plugs
Loose Solderless 1/4" Angled Patch Plugs PF03 Some of our distributors asked if they could buy our Patchfactory products in bulk, to be sold loose in stores. Buy as few or as many plugs as you need.
- Any number of Solderless 1/4" Angled Patch Plugs
1.5m of Patchfactory Cable
PF04 A generous length of Patchfactory cable, to top up your kit.
- 1.5m (5ft) of Cable
Loose Patchfactory Cable
PF05 We've printed a marker every 30cm (1ft) down the length of our cable, for easy measuring in the shop. Buy as much or as little as you need.
- Any length of Cable
- 10 x Solderless 1/4" Angled Patch Plugs
Would you like to review the Diago Patchfactory?
For high-resolution product images designed for web and print, please visit our Press Resources page.
In this section we'll discuss the pros and cons of existing products on the market, and compare them to the Diago Patchfactory, so you can choose that product that's right for you.